Broken Beauty (Broken Beauty Novellas, #1) by Chloe Adams

September 23, 2013

 
 
Broken Beauty is not a book of everybody's choice. Chloe Adams wrote a impressive story that shocks you, that portrays horror and angst and makes you feel sick to your stomach, but at the same time that brings a message of strength to everyone who needs it. I need chocolate right now...


It is a small book with a story that will be divided into six novellas, and I think that it will be very frustrating to all of us readers that want justice to wait. Especially waiting with this big cliff-hanger!!!!

Her father was a tool. Mia is the child of a politician that cares about nothing else but his career, that even after his daughter gets raped, still holds on to the idea of using that act to his advantage in elections... I mean, what kind of father is this? He was selfish, disgusting and so cold. I hated him, I completely felt revolted by this man who couldn't even dignified himself to go visit his daughter to the hospital, and even saying that the rape was all her fault. I never felt this bad about a character in a book before and I seriously hope that he gets a very bad ending!!!!
"Daddy, why didn't you come see me at the hospital?" My voice carries a tremor of emotion in it, one I hope I could prevent.
"Mia, dear, you know I would have if I had the time. Your press conference did wonders for my polls this week. Did Shea tell you?"
 I shake my head and look down.
 "You've become Daddy's-little-helper," he says with a chuckle.
 I'm  glad someone can laugh off my rape.

Mia knows she isn't the poster child for perfection so she's tired of trying. Mia was a troubled girl from the beginning, being sort of "spoiled" and even frivolous, but after THAT happens to her you immediately get a new side to her. You see The girl who wants love from her father or from anyone because she never truly felt loved. You get The girl that will be revolted and scared but will defy all that she was taught to believe in to stand up for herself. She goes from scared little mouse into a strong girl. I loved her.
 
I wanted that Dom and Keasha had more presence in the story, but mainly Dom because I know that he will be a great supporter and guardian of Mia. And possible romance?  They were both characters that I really loved to see and probably the only two honest people on the whole book! Just saying...
"Anything I can do for you?" Dom asks.
"Just don't leave."
"I won't," he says. "You play sports, Mia?"
 I focus on the sound of his voice, which is low, calm and warm. He sounds calm, like Grandpa, and looks like Cory. I don't feel scared around him.
Sadly this is a problem that happens a lot more than it should and the book described it so accurately that it only makes it more real and scarier and it made me so mad! The writing is addictive and fast.  The story was heartfelt, sorrowful and amazing and it made the whole book a wakeup call for our priorities.

Arc copy provided by Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews