Torch (Take It Off, #1) by Cambria Hebert...

September 03, 2013



I'm on fire! An hot dark big footed fireman saving a helpless little redhead that has a very mad killer after her? Sign me up... And have you looked at this cover? It's steaming! The moment I saw this and the synopsis I was like: Are you kidding me? GIMMIE, gimmie, gimmie... And now I am Like: o.O Chika pow wow! And doing a happy dance of course... (Mainly to cool down because this book is on FIRE.)

 
This isn't a GREAT book, there are no "excellent" characters, the story has loopholes and it's far too predictable but there is a sweetness and rather freshness to it that turns this otherwise blah story into a my-god-I-am-going-to-die-of-all-these-feelings book. It's awesome to read about! Cambria Hebert really knew how to work with minimal details and make it into an heart racing, adorable book. (Just because a book is Adorable, doesn't mean that it's bad. It's just cute and funny and very nice. )

 
Yes, this is a kind of love at first sight and Yes we knew the typical yada yada of their relationship, but I never seen a cuter couple. Holt and Katie really were meant for each other.  Even I had to role my eyes when he suddenly and without knowing her (asides from saving her from a burning house) offered to take care of her, though it was such a sweet gesture and right off the bat he made a remark about how she looked like a twelve year old that I forgot it in an instant. This book is funny. This couple is funny and it's not your typical I-Need-you to-fix-me-because-my-life-depends-on-it kind of couple, it's more of a I'll-protect-you-no-matter-what-because-you-mean-the-world-to-me and it's so dam sweet that any problem about their predictableness went out the window.
“Your feet are huge,” I blurted. 
He grinned. “You look like you’re twelve.” 
“I do not!”
Holt is big. I'll explain: he has big feet, he has a big monster truck, he has to eat a ginormous bowl of cereal in the morning and he has a big...... personality. Really, you constantly have to hear how big he is at everything. But it's a good contrast to Katie (because she's tiny) and he is kind of good to read about, so it didn't really bothered me. His character is so sweet, with all his remarks and alpha male protection towards Katie made him even more irresistible.
“There goes that ego of yours again.” I held out my arms wide. “Big,” I mouthed.
 

Katie doesn't really have a personality. She's this bland girl, but joining the fact that someone is trying to kill her and that she keeps almost getting  burned to death, spiked her interest levels. I really liked her comparison to Holt. She's tiny and he's big, it added some really good remarks and jokes to the story...
“I’ve just gotten really used to being alone.” 
He squeezed my fingers. “You’re not alone anymore, Katie. You’re never going to be alone again.”
 I have to say that this whole killer story is badly told because it didn't gave us any suspect, and for a book to work it needs to have really dubious suspects so that you can make assumptions. But this book went straight down to the business talk and in the final chapter you already had the killers name. I think it needed to develop more and add in some characters. But it worked just as it is. Though if you are excepting a thriller book, you came knocking on the wrong door. This book is only Awesome at the romance part, and maybe burning houses, attempt to hit and run, blowing cars and kidnappings.

This a beach type book. It's light and fluffy and it will make your heart do cartwheels. Or if you are having a particularly cold day this will boil your blood instantly.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews