The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black /// WHAT????? ///

January 11, 2018


// Goodreads //
// Buy on Amazon //

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Genre: YA/Fantasy

I feel totally played right now. I Just finished The Cruel Prince and the first thing that comes to my mind is that The Cruel Prince is not so cruel, Jude is. And if that is not one hell of a plot twist I don’t know what is! And i loved every second of it...

Bold, that’s what I need to be. Like I own the place. Like I am the general’s daughter. Like I can really pull this off.


What a clever story this was. I am truly impressed by the cleverness of the author in coming up with a story that can not only change in a blink of an eye but is also so very cunning that you never know who to trust. The Cruel Prince just entered in my top 2018 favorites and it’s staying there for good. The writing is super detailed but sharp and cunning, the chapters can be either 10 pages long or just one. It’s a book full of surprises. It’s filled with deceit and revenge, cute boys that like to push people around and two brothers hungry for power. 

Jude, the protagonist, as human is powerless, but as the book goes on she starts to see that her human side can be an advantage. For she can lie. And they can’t. For she was raised by a master of swords, so nobody can best her in a fight. She has all this advantages that she doesn’t realize but will end up using. She was great, asides from a curve ball at the end (WHERE SHE WAS INCREDIBLY SMART), she was a character I loved reading about and understood her motivations and goals. I was ready to support her to the very end. Go, Jude!

To our Cruel Prince that got played at the end…. I hated you. At the beginning that is. After a couple of chapters I fell madly in love with this character, that is so cruel but also so caring. Prince Cardan was a great surprise. He went from being this nasty bully to a somewhat decent person, to be an ass again. I’m not even mad, that’s impressive.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest, with black hair as iridescent as a raven’s wing and cheekbones sharp enough to cut out a girl’s heart. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

I loved the descriptions about the faerie world, the gowns, the balls and the unique kind that they are. It was what made me really enjoy the book as much as I did.  Holly Black did an amazing job including us into this different new world that lives side by side with our own. Each description was more enchanting than the other. The folk had hair the color of every tone possible. Blue, pink, green moss and even white. Their features changed from pointy ears to large mouths and eyes of charcoal black. But all of them in their opulence were so beautiful. They contributed to a world building so well done that all I can do is congratulate the author.

"You know the charms. Salt our food and you destroy any ensorcellment on it. Turn your stockings inside out and you will never find yourself led astray. Keep your pockets full of dried rowan berries and your mind won’t be influenced.”

Cruel Prince did not disappoint whatsoever, and I’ll be keeping my eye for more books by Holly Black because her writing style is super entertaining and crazy unpredictable. 2018 is so far a great year of books! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews