Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1) by Elly Blake

January 12, 2018


// Buy on Amazon //

Genre: YA/Fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


Seventeen-year-old Ruby is a Fireblood who has concealed her powers of heat and flame from the cruel Frostblood ruling class her entire life. But when her mother is killed trying to protect her, and rebel Frostbloods demand her help to overthrow their bloodthirsty king, she agrees to come out of hiding, desperate to have her revenge.

Despite her unpredictable abilities, Ruby trains with the rebels and the infuriating - yet irresistible - Arcus, who seems to think of her as nothing more than a weapon. But before they can take action, Ruby is captured and forced to compete in the king’s tournaments that pit Fireblood prisoners against Frostblood champions. Now she has only one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who has taken everything from her - and from the icy young man she has come to love.


Review:

Oh man, did anyone else got Phantom of the Opera vibes from this? Cause I did. Totally not complaining though. I loved it. Frostblood is a super cute/delightful book about fighting your inner power and mastering it to kick some ass. Sign me up for that!



I really enjoyed the way Elly Blake wrote this book. She skipped all the exhaustive descriptions that books like these often have, and turned everything into one concise book that goes straight to the point. When she included a fighting scene or a scene where Ruby or Arcus were using their powers she described it so vividly that I could see it play out in my head clearly. We had little moments of heavy sarcasm and teasing between Ruby and Arcus, or then just Ruby with someone else, that made me laugh like a fool. These little jokes in between the story were Awesome and super funny! The story line is not very intricate and full of history, but it has treason, a secret at the end and a slow building romance with tons of tension.

He made a disgusted sound. “If we all had names to suit us, you’d be called Thorn in My Backside. Or Plague of the Gods.”

I prickled at his scathing tone. “And you’d be Miserable Blockhead.”

 “Is that the best you can do?”

“Give me time. I’m half frozen.”

Ruby is a protagonist that already knows what type of power she has, she’s a Fireblood, so throughout the book we see her constantly trying real hard to improve her power and learn how to control it. I really liked her. I liked that she always had a smartass answer on the tip of her tongue, even when she was dying (which happened every two seconds). She was super unpredictable and courageous as hell.

Arcus – the guy with the incredible well-hidden secret that was super obvious, but at the same time it wasn’t – was the perfect leading guy. He's a FrostBlood BTW. He was nasty and infuriating at the beginning but then he blossomed – he probably wouldn’t enjoy this word – into a guy that trusted Ruby enough to tell her about his past. He became this protecting, hot, mysterious joker that I absolutely fell in love with.

“Let me go,” I gasped between coughs.

“Kindly remove your talons from my arms,” said a deep voice. His hands lifted, shaking off my curled fingers. 

The romance between them two took it’s time.  Looks between training sessions, a kiss here and there… And it was filled with tension so much that I just wanted to knock their heads together and say: KISS AND DATE ALREADY!

I have nothing negative to say about Frostblood, in fact I have Fireblood right next to me ready to be read. If you like YA stories with amazing secondary characters, secrets and romance this one is for you! Elly Blake did a stupend job. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews