Quintessentially Q (Monsters in the Dark, #2) by Pepper Winters. Book Review + Quotes

December 21, 2013



Published December 13th 2013 by Createspace
376 pages
ISBN: 1492305413

“All my life, I battled with the knowledge I was twisted… fucked up to want something so deliciously dark—wrong on so many levels. But then slave fifty-eight entered my world. Hissing, fighting, with a core of iron, she showed me an existence where two wrongs make a right."


Tess is Q’s completely. Q is Tess’s irrevocably. But now, they must learn the boundaries of their unconventional relationship, while Tess seeks vengeance on the men who sold her. Q made a blood-oath to deliver their corpses at Tess’s feet, and that’s just what he’ll do.


He may be a monster, but he’s Tess’s monster.

 
Book Review:

Warning: Whatever I say in this Review is not going to do justice to this book! And if you have a weak heart you may want to abstain from reading the book.
Monsters in The Dark is an spectacular series by Pepper Williams, that manage to provoke emotion after emotion in each page. It tells a story of desperation and revenge and even portrays many truths that aren't ready to be admitted. I  couldn't find a more realistic, a more truthful and shocking book if I tried. 
The world didn’t matter. This was us. This was our fuckedupness learning how to live without guilt and shame.
Quintessentially Q is the accumulation of everything and it's where we see the characters that we learn to care for reaching their breaking point and be forced to live through the worst circumstances. It's literally a kick in the butt for them. But all ended well and there will be another book "TWISTED TOGETHER" to finalize their happy ending which has me giggling and anxious. Damn you, Pepper Williams for writing this amazing books and to make us dependent of them... damn you! (Just kidding.... I may have a girl crush on the author though... just saying!!)
This book starts with the new life of Tess and Q as a couple!! (I was expecting this for so long) They start out very reticent with each other without fully trusting, but then Tess is once again going to be taken by her previous captors.... (I know it's scary!!!) And in the previous book they were pretty pissed at her so in here they will try to break her and damage her mind the best way they can. Meanwhile we'll get Q desperately trying to find her and doing everything he can including killing if necessary (and it will be) and whilst he's doing this he's realizing how much he cares for her and how much he's grown dependent of her strength and fierceness.
Just from this you just know it's going to be a heartbreaking book... and it was! It was maybe the worst book I ever had to read because some of the situations Tess is going to be exposed to, are just vile and wrong! It's even worst than Tears of Tess.  I love that Pepper Williams can describe so truthfully a character's emotions and situations but in here I had to take breaks to be able to read what was going to happen next. I was fearing the next page after page because I knew that Tess and Q could break at any moment and just give up, and the author really did gave us that feeling of desperation because it was so well written! It's beautiful the way she can write and create a story but let me tell you that there will be tears involved in here...
I love Tess. I love her character, I love that she's unbreakable and that she's fierce and strong after everything. In here this is all going to be threatened to fade because she will want to give up, she's going to fall and go through the worst circumstances but I always had a bit of hope that the old Tess would prevail and win that fight. And she did, but for a moment there she almost gave up and that moment is unforgettable in the book because I literally held my breath and just went banana's on everything.  Tess is also going to gain a monster in her, they are going to turn her and break her into a twisted version of herself which is also really hard to see but with the help of Q she's going to go trough it like the warrior she's always been...
Q wanted me, Q would protect me, and eventually Q would love me.  
Me, the girl with nothing but a broken mind.
 At the start Q doesn't know what's love because it's not love yet that he feels for Tess it's more of a need. But you will see him change throughout the book and go through so many battles with his inner monster to learn that he loves fiercely and deeply the girl he saved and that changed him beyond repair. Then we have him almost loosing control when Tess is taken away from him and there we will see true love, only then he will show us what he's willing to do to have his wild bird back and to give her his heart. This book changed Q and challenged him nearly breaking him in the process. I was stunned that Q could change so much in  one single book, but he did and the author wrote about it in a rather genius way. A gradual but fast change that will shock us but makes us love him as a person even more. There is no composed, beautiful business man anymore... it's more of a desperate, lonely and in constant battle man that's going to get more than he's read for.
I loved her with everything I was. “Je t'aime,” I whispered, kissing her back.
Suzette is spectacular and her support is really what keeps Tess and Q sane and what keeps our hearts from breaking every time something happens. She's always there with her advices even though she's been throughout so many bad things as well, she's going to be a confider and a friend to both Q and Tess what was really important in their finding the middle ground of their relationship. I really want to see her getting a happy ending as well... Frederick is also like a male version of Suzette...  but only for Q and just a bit for Tess which made me love him a bunch as well, because he's one of the rare good guys.
Only when I’d expended my angst-riddled energy did Suzette move closer and do something I would never have allowed before. She hugged me. Her tiny arms wrapped around my waist, squeezing tight, reminding me I was human and not a monster after all.
I want to burn the rapists, kidnappers,  evil doctors and everyone that's part of trafficking women and just break them all over again (because Q is going to do a damn good job at it, but it's still not enough!!). They are vile and disgusting for everything that they do to girls like Tess and Suzette in here. It's awful and they deserve to be condemned to live everything the girls lived over and over again... Damn, Pepper really did made me hate those fuckers!! Ugh...
I Both hate and Love this book. It's awesome and perfect and everything good you can think of with great characters and an unbelievable story, but it's so dark that's impossible to read it in one sitting. So I dare anyone that likes strong emotions to try it and read it because you are going to love it!!
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews