Uninvited (Uninvited, #1) by Sophie Jordan. BOOK REVIEW. I'm about to HTS someone!!!

February 05, 2014

Hardcover, 384 pages
Published January 28th 2014 by HarperTeen

ISBN: 0062233653

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.






Book Review: 

It's enough to say that i'm speechless? I guess not. But that is the only way i can describe my feelings whilst reading Uninvited.  Sophie Jordan just gave us a story with the perfect blending of chair-gripping suspense, heart racing action and the most unpredictably predictable romance. This is as good as it gets and it's just the first book!!
I had all these dreams to become something. Someone. 
No one ever said I couldn’t. 
No one ever said killer.
It all starts with HTS- the freaking kill gene. Did i mention this is a genius idea? I loved this concept of being able to tell if a person has murderous tendencies just by doing a blood test. But, of course every condition has it's fails. Just because a person is going to kill doesn't mean it's going to be in a fair situation of not. So, that really added all the unfairness of being targeted as one of the carriers and never in her life having done anything wrong. (Like Davvy)  

This book had me crying, laughing and screaming in panic, injustice and hate!! It just makes all of your emotions boil and because of messing with free will and a lot of injustice, it makes it ten times harder. Sophie Jordan wrote this story in such a captivating way, cultivating all the characters slowly and working them out to us. She introduced them and always had us knowing bits and pieces of their personality and past so that we could relate more.  From the most innocent girl to the most murderous guy i loved every single one! 

Davvy is just that character you would never have pointed out has having this syndrome. She's the perfect type. Perfect family, perfect boyfriend (WHO IS A MASSIVE IDIOT) and is gifted with music by being able to play almost every instrument immediately.  But you know what? Because she was so predictably perfect it was even awesomer when she found out about the syndrome and started kicking all the big boys asse's!! She rocked the HTS, never settling for what other people told her that she could be and instead aiming for something of her choosing. She is in charge of her future and no one else. But because she's a badass means that she will get her butt kicked loads of times, so expect some blood and sweat!! 
Walking into my bedroom, I can’t help thinking that this is my life now. No one to trust. No friends. A life of silence broken only with music.
(...)
 Because I won’t be a target. I won’t be the puny one that needs Sean and Gil looking out for me. If I’m that person, I’ll never make it in this program. I’ll never be the person I’m meant to be. I’ll be the mindless monster the DNA test says I am. And that can’t be right. I’m not that. I’m not.
The romance between Davvy and Sean starts out very slowly, building itself until they actually begin being able to stand near each other. It's not a relationship formed out of casualty. It's formed on injustice and courage. The best kind, in my opinion. They are intense and the fact that they only kiss almost in the end of the book did not bother me at all because the feelings are all there! 
Sean looks at me intently. “I can’t be here every minute.” 
Meaning he can’t be here every minute for me. And that infuriates me. “I don’t need you to be.” I start flinging trash onto my tray. 
“Davy.” His hand snatches hold of mine. I feel the hard imprint of each finger on my flesh. “We need each other.”
(...)
 Somehow, Sean makes me forget. And remember. A dangerous combination when I’m only supposed to be looking ahead to the future.
Sean is the Bad Boy that no one wants to mess with. This is the time for everyone to roll their eyes, but hear me out first!! He may be the typical type but once you get to know him you'll see that he's not that easy to crack. He's not the bad boy that instantly gets all smiley and shit. No, he's been branded as a killer and he wants to do anything to prove that he is anything but. So since the moment Davvy proves herself to him he takes it upon himself to protect her. Because he sees the fight in her, a fight that he though he lost many years ago.  This Boy will win you over in a heartbeat. Every single bit of him makes an worth remembering character. He's scary and mean, but once he likes you he's the best friend you could get! 
“You have more to lose than me.” He shrugs one shoulder. “I was a kid when I learned I was a carrier. I was already parentless. Poor. No future. Hard to hit bottom when you’re already there.” His mouth flattens into a grim line. “I was used to being nothing.” 
A nothing who showed up here today when I needed someone most. 
A nothing who marched into the bathroom when Brockman cornered me. 
A nothing who picked me up when I was stranded and out past curfew. 
A myriad of responses rush to my lips. “You’re not nothing.” You’re here.
Gil may be a small geeky guy but he's got the courage many bigger guys wished for! I really want much more of his abilities in the next book. I wished we could have met Coco better because she was mysterious and i did not understood her story all that well. 

Uninvited is going to leave you hanging in the final. It's fast and full of action. Sophie Jordan kicked some serious ass! And the fact that there will be only one more book makes it all THAT much more interesting. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews